Thursday, August 8, 2024

Kitchen courtyard

image from Clipart Library

"Courtyard" sounds a little bit grand, I know, but my garden has so many different sections that I've had to give them names to try to keep track 😄
 

We're still harvesting the cut-and-come-again lettuce.  There were a few casualties as you can see by the empty spaces and the two very small plants.  Even the latter, though, are actually starting to put on some growth which is very pleasing.  Cut-and-come-again varieties are ideal for just the two of us, especially as we don't have salad every day.  This is a very nice, crispy, lettuce which we prefer to the softer butterhead-types.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I had managed to overwinter some of last year's (tender perennial) bedding plants, and here are some of them in all their glory!  The fuchsia is Pink Galore and the argyranthemum is Grandaisy Pink Halo.  To say I am thrilled with their growth this year would be something of an understatement!

It's not that easy to make out against the house wall but just to the right is one of last year's dahlias, White Aster, starting to flower too. 

Two more of last year's fuchsias, along with the only osteospermum (Purple Reflection) that survived.  There are also trailing geraniums in these two tubs, Sunflair Eva White, which I bought this year as super plugs. 

I really should have done some deadheading before I took this photo ~ I was obviously over-excited about this year's bedding finally starting to flower as it all seems to have had a very slow start this year.  The fuchsia are ~ yes, you guessed it! ~ Pink Galore 😄 The geraniums are one of my favourite varieties: Apple Blossom.

I shall try to overwinter all these plants again this year.  Hopefully I will have at least some success and will be able to start the "bedding" season next year a bit ahead of the game with larger plants 😉

And here's a close-up of those gorgeous vanilla-scented nemesia I told you about previously ~ I hope you can almost smell their beautiful aroma through your screen 😍

No comments:

Post a Comment