Monday, August 12, 2024

Queen of two kingdoms

image from Clipart Library

Not only am I the Queen of Procrastination when it comes to my garden but as you already know, my lovelies, I'm also the Queen of Procrastination in another of my little kingdoms: that of my poor neglected houseplants 😳


I did manage to get a handful of them repotted before Christine and John came up, although I didn't photograph each one as I don't want to give you houseplant fatigue 😀 


I believe this is some variety of agave, which was living on the dining room windowsill, but as it's label disappeared way back in the mists of time I wouldn't like to swear to it!


It was in a rather sorry state with very little compost left around the roots.....which were rather wet to say the least!


I separated out some of the little "pups", and repotted all the pieces ~ I'm pretty sure that I gave one of the offshoots to Beverly.  I removed the dead/squishy leaves, and trimmed the ends of the ones that were starting to go brown and dry.   The mother plant, above, is now living on one of our porch windowsills with another of the offshoots on the other one.


This "lucky bamboo" was a gift from Beverly a couple of years back.  It came growing in a small phial of water and I simply moved it to this hyacinth bulb glass, also filled with water.  As you can see, it had plenty of roots but the leaves were looking very sickly.  I had it on the kitchen windowsill and I think it was a little too bright for it there.


I decided to repot it into compost and it is now living in the guest bedroom.  It's further from the window but still gets (rather more filtered) light and seems happier since being moved.

Having looked it up on the internet it would seem that these aren't bamboo at all, and are in fact a variety of Dracaena.  It will be interesting to see how it grows now that it's been planted in compost.


This plant also lives in the guest bedroom.  It was gifted to me soon after we moved up here.  It had been somewhat neglected and no one could tell me what it was!  I just repotted it back then, hoping that at some point I would find out what kind of plant it actually was.


Fast forward to a few weeks back, and I knew that the time really had come for the poor thing to be repotted again 😧  I took some photos and posted them on a gardening group I'm in on Facebook, hoping someone would be able to tell me what it was.


As I didn't want to put it into an even larger pot, I decided that drastic measure were called for.  I divided it into three pieces and gave the roots of all three quite a severe haircut 😉


Now I have three of these plants, which most folk in the gardening group seem to think is a spider plant.


This larger pot has gone back into the guest bedroom, where it was previously, and seems to be happy despite the rather brutal treatment it underwent.

The other two plants are still living in the greenhouse until I decide what to do with them.  I am considering plopping them in with my cheese plant when I sort it out.  I'll let you know in due course 😄


 There's such a lot of work in the garden that I really must try to get done before the winter weather sets in but I'm hoping that once it does arrive, I'll be able to get all my poor little houseplants sorted out as at least it will be dry and sheltered from the wind in the greenhouse🤞

No comments:

Post a Comment