Tuesday, July 23, 2024

All very messy ~ yet again *sigh*

image from Clipart Library

Quite frankly, my lovelies, the lady above looks very much how I feel every time I look at my garden at the moment 😒


With all that's been going on these last few months, keeping on top of the garden totally got away from me.  Both the rosemary and the bay (in the terracotta-coloured pots) got somewhat crushed when the thick layer of snow on the roof finally slid off and fell on top of the poor little buggers 😟


I left the dahlias out in their pots all winter again, and as it was very wet I didn't hold out hopes that any of the tubers would survive.  


I did have the foresight to move this handful of plants into the arbour seat, where they were a tad more sheltered.  It's a crappy photo, I know ~ think it was probably spitting with rain when I took it!


Since I've been back from spending time with my Dad, I have made a start on tidying up.  I've had a bit of a rearrangement in the area near the kitchen.


Miracle of miracles!  Quite a few of the poor dahlias managed to survive another winter outside ~ ten altogether.  I didn't think many, if any at all, would have made it so back in January I cheered myself up by ordering some more from Marshalls.....my collection has now grown to 18 😀 (Two were still in the greenhouse when I took this photo).

The planter contains cut-and-come-again lettuce.


I gave the bay and rosemary some TLC before moving them.  The rosemary had a trim and I removed the yellowing/crispy leaves from the bay.  They are both too large for me to attempt a complete repotting so I simply scooped out a good half of the compost in their pots, refilling with fresh compost and a sprinkling of chicken manure pellets.

The pot in front of them contains mint and I have a second, different, variety beside the arbour seat.  As they are in smaller pots I was able to completely replace their compost, although I've kept them in the same pots.  They too had a good trim and a sprinkling of chicken manure pellets.

I also had a rearrangement of the planter, again replacing some of the compost and adding chicken manure pellets.  


This pretty little lenten rose is in the front garden.


As you can see, the front ornamental borders are absolutely overgrown with weeds.  Still the peonies we inherited with the house were lovely, as were the poppies.


This poppy was absolutely glorious but omg, just look at the size of the weeds ~ so much work to be done out there before this coming winter 😟

No comments:

Post a Comment