Monday, January 10, 2022

Guest bedroom... part four

image from Clipart Library

I was going to wait until the rest of the "tweaks" were done before sharing any more photos, but I got a tad over-excited at finally being able to release some of my little treasures from their plastic tubs so here are a couple more pictures 😄  

The cupboard is already living up to its storage potential.  The space at the very top has various bits and pieces of Adrian's that he doesn't want to have on display, but equally doesn't want to discard.  The sections behind the little wicker chair are also now filled.  The triangular door at the top is held on with magnets and it would be all to easy to catch the coomb ceiling when removing it; we therefore decided that it would be sensible to keep things in there that we don't need to have regular access to...in this instance, the ashes of, and bits 'n' bobs belonging to, our dogs ~ probably best not to let our guests know that, eh 😉   The cupboard section below now holds: spare towels and toiletries for the upstairs bathroom; gifts and wrapping paper, etc, for upcoming birthdays and Christmas; and on the bottom shelf, single-sized bedding for if we ever need to make up a bed on the sofa downstairs.  The section behind the double doors has a hanging rail for our guests' clothes (and the ones Beverly has left here on a permanent basis LOL); I've also re-used a couple of the plastic crates we had under our bed to store games and the things I (try) to collect over the course of the year to make up Beverly's Christmas advent gifts ~ she still shows no signs of tiring of this rod-I-made-for-my-own-back Christmas "tradition" 😵.  My clothes-horse is now stored in the cupboard, too, along with a few other odds and ends.

Whilst all the work has been going on, we've been to-ing and fro-ing over whether we should have a double or king-sized bed.  In the end though, because it will be so close to the bathroom wall, we have decided to order a double ~ hopefully those six extra inches of space will help to make it more comfortable getting round the end of the bed.

The length of blue tubing laying on the floor is the protective packaging of our Silent Gliss curtain pole.  Needless to say, the ordering of said pole didn't go smoothly; when it arrived, it had been made using the wrong measurement and was too short!  Of course, this was all going on whilst I was away south, so Adrian had to contact the company to sort it out.  To be fair to them they confirmed straightaway that it was their mistake, and supplied a new pole very quickly.  Hopefully, this will be one of the things Shug will be able to get put up for us this next week.  I will then make a decision on curtain fabric; we're having a single curtain which will be pulled round to the right.  I'm no seamstress so will have to have it made-to-measure for me. 

Adrian has now got the television and DVD player, which have been languishing beneath our bed since we moved up here, set up on the white stand beside the window.  What I am now using as a blanket rack is actually the towel rack that used to be in the downstairs bathroom before it was refurbished.  I would hate for our guests to be cold whilst they are staying with us!  I have made a start on crocheting a blanket for the bedroom (and have more yarn from my stash in mind to make a second at some point), but it will probably take me quite a few months to get it finished as I keep getting distracted by other things!  In the meantime, at least there are a couple of blankets ready should they be needed.

The chest of drawers has a vintage china dressing-table set on it which I purchased over 40 years ago from an antiques market.  Before I went down south I ordered a shelf from The Shelving Company on Etsy, in eggshell white, to go above the chest of drawers (another of those finishing tweaks on poor Shug's list!); I have a rather sweet vintage wall-cupboard, that has a little mirror in the centre, that I want to display on it.  The magazine rack had been painted green when I bought it a few years before we moved up here.  I had thought of perhaps painting it either white or a deeper blue than the walls to tie it in with what has turned out to be a blue-and-white-with-pink-accents bedroom colour scheme, but must confess that I am rather fond it's shabby chic green finish so will most likely leave it be 😉

The somewhat shabby looking wooden stand with the basket of teddies is more or less at what will be the end of the bed.  It's actually meant for folk to put their suitcase on although it doesn't seem quite large enough to be honest.  Still, when we have guests I shall put the basket beneath the stand, then they can use it if they wish.  This is something that I will most likely paint at some point as the colour really isn't all that attractive.  Whilst it isn't shown in this photo, we now have a nice new heater on the bathroom wall.

The sweet little oak chair in front of the window was given to me by my Auntie Mavis many years ago, and is something that I treasure.  The darker stain that was used on the wood sometime in the chair's history has worn away back to it's natural colour in places, and ideally I'd like all the wood stripped back and simply finished with a coat of beeswax.  I'm going to have a chat with a local furniture repair and upholstery company not that far from here, as the chair is in need of a complete overhaul and is not something that I would want to tackle!  (The vacuum cleaner is not a bedroom fixture, by the way 😉)

I have no idea what the plant is beside the chair.  Beverly "rescued" it when our local food bank relocated to different premises ~ I don't think that any of her colleagues there really wanted to take it in and she knows what a sucker I am for half-dead plants 😃  Anyhoo, it's come back to life admirably and seems to like living near the bedroom window.  The photo on the windowsill, by the way, is of my sister Amanda and I when she was a very new baby and I had just turned four.

It's amazing, really, just how very much the bedroom has changed over these past few months ~ I still can't help smiling each time I walk into the room.  There aren't that many more things that need to be done now and I'm so looking forward to having our first guests up to stay, hopefully sometime this year 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment