Monday, June 5, 2023

Ouchies!

image from Clipart Library

This last weekend was a bit of a wash-out to be honest πŸ˜’ I woke up in the early hours of Saturday morning with the most awful cramp in my right calf, which lasted for ages before it all unknotted itself ~ it was really horrible😧  I do get cramp from time-to-time and the after-effects don't usually last long, but my leg is still not quite back to normal two days later *sigh*  Still, at least I'd got a fair few jobs done before Saturday so I suppose having a little rest, even if it wasn't by choice, wasn't too much of a bad thing πŸ˜‰

The plug plants are doing well in the greenhouse.  I shall put the sweetcorn and ornamental bedding out in the arbour seat this week to acclimatise to the cooler outdoor temperatures before I plant them in their ultimate positions. 


As you know we moved the raspberries and funberries from the front beds and as I mentioned previously, I decided that because they spread so vigorously they would have to be contained in pots.  I repotted the raspberries in the largest pots I own ~ they will just have to like it or lump it πŸ˜„ The funberries have gone into smaller pots for now.  If they outgrow them, then they too will go into pots the same size as those the raspberries are now in.  Eventually they will live on a stone chipped path along the boundary wall behind the soil mountain ~ which hopefully will be a very much smaller affair in due course, a mere hillock perhaps!

The small pots beside the arbour seat contain red currant cuttings I took last year.  I repotted them as they were growing so well.  


We've made some changes in the front garden, moving the three tubs of herbs round to the back.  It seemed more sensible to have the herbs nearer the kitchen, plus we wanted to use the old galvanised water tank elsewhere out the back.

We've replaced these planters with five half-barrels ~ I'll take some photos in due course 😊


The poor bay tree got terribly scorched by the fierce winds over the winter.  I decided to put it in a pot by itself by the side of the arbour seat, where I hope it will be more sheltered in future.


I don't have a large herb collection, as you can see, but they are herbs that we make use of.  I decided to put the rosemary in a pot of its own, too, as it's getting quite large now ~ it has such pretty blue flowers.  The poor geranium wasn't best pleased to be yanked out of the planter but I expect it will pick up in due course πŸ˜‰  The parsley is now in its second year, so will be discarded.  I took some houseleeks from elsewhere in the front garden to put in the rusty old bird cage, as the ones already in there had also been decidedly battered over the winter!


The arbour seat makes a rather good "sort-of" coldframe ~ good enough for my needs, anyway πŸ˜„


The planter on the kitchen windowsill was looking a tad worse for wear.....


so when Adrian was staining some wood, I got him to give it a few coats too.  It looks pretty smart now and just needs to be planted up with some of that summer bedding I recently potted up in the greenhouse 😊 

No comments:

Post a Comment