Friday, June 2, 2023

A new(ish) project


Back in 2020 we got these three beds built for fruit, planting redcurrants in the middle bed and blackcurrants in the one to the left.


 For the bed beside the wall, I ordered three vertical cordon fruit trees from Pomona Fruits: Scrumptious (a dessert apple), Victoria (plum), and Summer Sun (a dessert cherry).  

Fast forward a year and we built yet another bed, this time out the back ~ after all, we've got to find homes for that soil mountain somewhere 😉  The intention had been to move the raspberries here from the front but I changed my mind once I saw how prolifically the little buggers spread themselves around 😲  As usual, I went through all kinds of ideas in my head as to what to plant here but in the end decided to.....

 

take the bull by the horns and move the three fruit trees ~ perhaps  I should add content warnings to some of my blog posts, as "proper" gardeners may find it too traumatic to read about what I do to my poor plants 😄

Anyhoo, regardless of whether or not it was the right time (or even the right thing to do), we dug them out of their bed in the front garden and relocated them into this new one.  I did cut them back a fair bit once they were in place in hopes that it would lessen the trauma of the move a little, and so far they haven't curled up their toes and died on me 👍 I also moved the blackberries from the front to join them.  It's a variety called Tiny Black which, as its name suggests, is a small plant suitable for growing in containers so I'm hoping it will stay small in this bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment