Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Turning a UFO into a WIP!


I've mentioned previously that one of my (many ๐Ÿ˜„) bad habits is to start a project and make no accompanying notes whatsoever.  Then, of course, something new calls to me and whatever I was working on is put to one side to "finish later".  Trouble is when "later" finally turns up, nine times out of ten I can't remember who I was making the UFO for, what size hook I was using, how big I was going to make it, etc, etc ๐Ÿ˜ So in an effort to get myself organised I have ordered some items from an Etsy seller that will hopefully keep me in order ~ they have apparently been dispatched so when they get here I'll take some photos of my new organisational helpers!


One of the UFOs languishing in the yarn stash was this granny stripe blanket.  It's folded in half here so I could fit it in the photo more easily.  I actually remembered who I was making this blanket for, but when I fished it out to get it finished it dawned on me that I really wasn't that keen on the design with these colours.....so I frogged it ๐Ÿธ


I can't remember how long ago I actually bought this yarn but I suspect it may well have been prior to us moving up here ~ and we've lived here getting on for five years now!  Only one of the skeins had a label ~ goodness knows why I didn't keep any of the others! ~ so of course I don't know what the shades are now.  It's Cascade 220, an Aran-weight 100% wool yarn, which no doubt I would have bought from Wool Warehouse ๐Ÿ˜‰


When I looked at the colours together it made me think of the sea, more specifically the Orkney seascape.  This is the order in which I'm using the yarn, starting from the grey on the right and simply repeating the colour sequence as I work through the pattern.....


.....which, of course, just had to be my favourite chevron design from The Gentle Art of Knitting by Jane Brocket ~ a book I've had for over 10 years now and I still haven't tired of that blanket pattern!

And this is where I'm at thus far.  It's a lovely yarn to work with and feels very much softer than the West Yorkshire Spinners yarn I used for Beverly's recent blanket.  As I've got such a sensitive skin, I still don't think I could wear a garment or scarf made with it though, but it's lovely in this blanket.

As an added bonus it's working up quite quickly too so hopefully it'll be done in time for Christmas and that will be another WIP finished ๐Ÿ˜„

No comments:

Post a Comment