Thursday, November 3, 2022

Giant economy size


Frankly I've got so many crochet books and individual patterns, methinks it would probably take waaay longer than 257 years to get through them all 😄  


I suppose "giant" is a slight exaggeration but The Royal Sisters original pattern for a grandma tree is somewhat smaller and daintier than my ultimate version of it 😉  I was so pleased with the little snowflakes I made to accompany this year's Christmas pudding gifts, I thought I'd do something similar for the other Christmas gifts and the original size is indeed perfect for that.


As I've still got lots of the James C Brett Baby Shimmer yarn I thought it would be perfect, doubled-up, to make some Christmas decorations.  It's a double knit yarn and I used a 6mm hook; was quite firm to work with but it has made the trees nice and stiff without having to use any kind of starch.  


Even if I do say so myself, they hang very nicely.


I was so chuffed with the trees that I decided to make some grandma twinkle stars, also from The Royal Sisters blog.  I didn't bother making a "test" star first, I just jumped straight in with the doubled-up yarn and 6mm hook.  The patterns don't say anything about a hanging hook; I simply attached a single strand of the yarn to the top, made twelve chain stitches using a 4mm hook and slip-stitched it together back at the starting spot to form a loop.

I'm really pleased with how these little decorations turned out and now have lots of ideas swirling around in my head for different variations I could make 😄

No comments:

Post a Comment