Monday, August 15, 2022

I gritted my teeth...


...and made a start on those unruly kitchen garden borders.  And to tell the truth, it hasn't been quite as bad as I'd feared once I got going.  This side border, like the path border, is all finished now.  All the big weeds have been pulled out, some of the plants have had supports added and some have been moved.  To the left, just out of the photo, I've added some more of the escallonia that has been sitting in pots up by the house for the last couple of years or so.  I also planted two lupins (that I dug out of the ornamental border) at the back here, near the wall; hopefully they will now be more protected from the strong winds we get.  I shall be putting in some ground-covering plants in due course.


When I showed you how chaotic the borders had become, I completely missed sharing this photo of the lovely potentilla fruticosa Snowbird in the front wall border.  It's simply amazing the amount of growth all the shrubs and larger plants have put on ~ after all, it's only two years since we started the garden make-over, which just seems incredible!  I haven't quite finished weeding this border, there's still about one-third left to do, but it's been somewhat wet up here and I haven't felt like weeding in the rain to be honest 😄


I had bedding plants leftover after I'd planted up the wheelbarrow and pots, so they went into the raised beds as I had a fair few empty spaces in them.  Hopefully I will be better organised with my veggie planting next year but even so I will still dot a few bedding plants amongst them to encourage the bees.

Talking of the wheelbarrow, the osteospermums are starting to look really good.  I'm a tad behind with my photos, so they are looking even better now. 

And look, my second set of ceramic toadstools finally arrived.  The Etsy seller I bought these from, jostudio37, was very apologetic and made me another set.  The first set I ordered never did turn up so goodness knows where the parcel went to 😕   

No comments:

Post a Comment