Friday, September 27, 2024

The borders of shame!

 

image from Clipart Library

Since we got back from visiting family and friends down south we've been busy out in the garden, trying to get as much done as possible on good weather days.  Our first task was to go over all the previously tidied-up areas, which thankfully didn't take too long.  Perhaps the weeds are starting to slow down a tad.....


although not in this bed, alas!  You may recall that I cleared it out last month but as I predicted, the seeds that popped out as soon as I touched the weeds wildflowers are starting to germinate 😒 


I wonder how long it will take for a fresh batch to make an appearance!


Once all that was done, I could put it off no longer ~ the time had come to make a concerted effort to start "eating the elephant" that is the ornamental garden borders.


Just to give you some idea of the task ahead, I thought I'd take some close-up photos to share with you.


I'll be honest, it is definitely a daunting task *sigh*


But it's a task that must be tackled before it gets any worse.


Although I've been wondering if it can get any worse!


I decided to start with the hedge borders, mostly so that I can actually see the new shrubs and check out how they are doing 😄


Before I made a start, though, I had to clear out the brambles that are yet again encroaching from our neighbour's garden.  They are bloody awful things, incredibly thorny and root themselves wherever they touch the soil.  I also had to cut back their rosa rugosa and hawthorn, both of which are bloody thorny too 😒 We chuck all of their stuff that we have to cut back over into their garden but it seems to be a case of "out of sight, out of mind" as far as they are concerned.


I forgot to take a photo of this section of the hedge border before I made a start on it 😏 It was full of buttercups ~ and spiders 😄


I had an audience whilst I was weeding.....


He/she was very attentive to what I was doing and was quite obviously listening to me talk to him/her.  Robins really are beautiful little birds 😍

No comments:

Post a Comment