Monday, August 3, 2020

And then there were three


So that's bed three built and in position.  We tried setting it in the same way as beds one and two, but it was just too much of a trip hazard as it was so close to the inspection chamber.  We can't make up our minds at the moment about what the orientation of bed four should be ~ not that the kit has arrived yet LOL  We'll just have to try it out in both directions and see how it looks.  Then it will be a case of deciding what size kits we should get for beds five and six.  We definitely can't comfortably fit in any more 6' x 4' beds, but hopefully we'll be able use 6' x 3'.

Bed two is filled with soil, ready for the last of the plants I've ordered.  Half of it will be strawberries, and the other half is going to be used as a nursery bed to grow on perennial plug plants ready to go out in the garden next spring. 


The netting and hoops arrived last week ~ bed one now looks somewhat like a bride about to walk down the aisle!  I had a good look at the plants, most of which had clusters of eggs and some even had teeny-tiny caterpillars.  I decided to just cut those leaves off rather than faff about; I'm not convinced that I managed to get all the little buggers though!  Although the hoops are supposed to be for 4' beds, I don't feel that they are quite tall enough once the netting has been fixed in place.  At some point I think I will order the components to make my own, taller, "cloches" for these 4' beds, and use these hoops in the narrower beds in due course.


Look!  Actual broccoli florets!!  You have no idea how excited I was to find this on my caterpillar hunt!!!  Perhaps I'll be sampling my very own homegrown broccoli after all 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment