Saturday, September 19, 2026

A quiet week

image from Magnific.com

Adrian was down south for a few days this week, so I was "home alone" 😀  Well, I say "alone" but sadly for me, my inner Domestic Goddess decided to put in one of her extremely sporadic appearances, so any thoughts I might have had along the lines of lazing around on the sofa reading, whilst munching biscuits and/or chocolate (accompanied by copious cups of tea, of course 😉) went right out of the window 😏  I'm sure that had she been feeling better, Beverly would have come over and rescued me from the tyranny of my inner DG but alas, she was still recovering from a bout of Covid 😳  Is that the correct way to refer to Covid now, do you think ~ like a bout of flu?  Well, however we should be referring to it, it's still very firmly "out there" in the community isn't it *sigh*

I'm sorry to report that I have no photos to share with you ~ simply because I just didn't think to take any once the IDG got her claws into me!  The weather has been pretty crappy this week, so any ideas I might have had to get some more work done in the garden were firmly squashed.  Thinking about it, that's probably how the IDG was able to get her foot in the door ~ if only I'd been quick enough to escape to my craft room, she might have stayed hidden 😄  Oh well, at least I got a couple of jobs done that I'd been putting off for a very long time 😉

Mondays and Thursdays are usually somewhat "bitty" sorts of days, in the mornings at any rate, as that's when I have my bi-weekly Komp calls with my Dad.  I usually just potter about until we meet up at 11am, have an early lunch, then try to work up the enthusiasm to do something constructive in the afternoon LOL  This week, Monday was soon taken up with laundry, Komping, and doing my online Tesco shop.  I also thoroughly cleaned the fridge, inside and out.  When I saw the layer of sticky dust on the top, I felt it prudent to clean the top of the freezer too 😯  

Tuesday rolled around and the IDG decided she was definitely going to put in an appearance 😖  As I have told you many, many, times my lovelies, I am a slut when it comes to housework and I try to avoid it at all costs!  However, I'm sure that there comes a time in the life of even the most dedicated "housework slut" when she decides that something will have to be done about the dust and mess ~ and I'm no exception, it seems!  I've been meaning to tackle our bedroom for months now, although to be fair it wasn't too untidy although the dust was about an inch thick 😁  So I set-to, dusting, cleaning, and vacuuming every surface to within an inch of its life LOL  Actually, that's not entirely true as I didn't have the energy (nor the inclination to be fair) to haul the stepladder upstairs to clean the top of the wardrobes ~ that will just have to wait until my next bout of housework madness 😏

After the cleaning, I changed the by-now very dusty bedlinen (with the duvet cover as always a rather mammoth task to tackle when doing it alone!) and decided to slightly rearrange things in the room, although I left that for the following day.

I must confess that the top of my chest of drawers was very untidy, piled up with stuff that really needed a proper home.  I'd been thinking about sorting through my costume jewellery for quite some time, as I have quite a lot of it and wear very few of the pieces.  Most of my jewellery is cheap 'n' cheerful, even the stuff that I don't wear and just keep for sentimental reasons.  The chest of drawers has three fairly small drawers, two of which are very shallow and were stuffed with necklaces and brooches.  I decided to be ruthless and have now whittled that down to just one drawer of necklaces that I am likely to actually wear.  My earrings are kept on a metal carousel-type thing which sits on the chest of drawers and I weeded out a few pairs of those that I never wear.  I was then able to rearrange the other two drawers to hold things like hair brushes/combs, spare perfumes, make-up, etc.  

I moved my childhood teddies (that I've had since I was a baby) from the top of my shoe cabinet and across the landing into the guest bedroom.  This cleared a space for me to put a large wooden box there instead.  It belonged to my Great Aunt Mary and I suspect she may have used it as a sewing box, although I do have a smaller wooden box that was hers which actually does have sewing bits and bobs in it, as well as a "proper" sewing basket.  Perhaps she used the big box for storing papers ~ who knows 🤷  Anyhoo I'm now using it for the brooches I decided to keep, along with the "sentimental" jewellery.

There was a small side table in front of the window which had been downstairs.  I brought it up to our bedroom as I thought it might be useful but we have never put anything on it in all the time it's been there.  It was actually a tad annoying, to be honest, as it made closing the curtains a little difficult.  I decided that since it was just standing there empty, it could go ~ so it's now in the guest bedroom too!  I also repotted my beloved aspidistra.  It didn't need to go into a larger pot but the compost had shrunk down quite considerably.  I tipped out the old stuff and replanted it into some lovely fresh compost.  I suppose I shouldn't really have favourites, but the aspidistra, along with the monstera which lives in the dining room, are my most beloved plants in my little houseplant collection 😊

Wednesday can also be a rather fragmented sort of day, as we usually have our Tesco delivery in the early afternoon, but the interruption didn't stop me from finishing in the bedroom.  It doesn't seem like I did very much, really, now that it's written down but it's surprising just how long all this took to get done 😳

I was already feeling a bit fed-up with the IDG by the time Thursday rolled around, but allowed myself to be persuaded to tackle the guest bedroom.  Again, it's amazing just how long it took me to dust, clean, and vacuum in there!  I did some furniture/picture rearranging and picked up all the yarn that had been piled on the floor ~ sadly it's now piled up on the bed but I totally ran out of steam to sort through it, as I found it rather overwhelming to be honest.  Beverly has agreed to help me be ruthless with it when she next comes over.  I also repotted the two houseplants that live in the room.  One did need a larger pot but I was able to simply replant the other one into fresh compost in its original container.

By Friday I decided to tell the IDG to bugger off and spent the day just pootling about, not doing much of anything in particular, although I did get the hems taken up on a new pair of trousers that Adrian had bought quite some time back.  It's not a job that I particularly enjoy and I always procrastinate about getting it done.....which is a tad unfortunate, really, as virtually every pair of trousers he buys has to be shortened!  The daft part about it, though, is that once I "gird me loins" and get on with it, the task really doesn't take that long to do 😏

I was rather hoping to get out in the garden today but alas the weather gods are not smiling kindly down upon us.  I did manage to dig out some potatoes this morning during a very brief respite from the rain, which wasn't the most pleasant of jobs with the soil being so cold and claggy!  Since then, though, it's been absolutely chucking it down out there so goodness knows when we'll be able to get any garden work done.  I just hope my IDG doesn't decide that I can fill my time with more housework instead 😬

No comments:

Post a Comment